Sure, the plotlines can be a little outlandish and the characters are over the top, but what did you expect? In real life, teens who break into song usually ride the short bus.
I have to admit, though, one of my favorite things (besides raindrops on roses and whiskers on kittens) is seeing the shock on teens’ faces when they discover their new favorite song from the show was actually written in 1981. I feel cooler than I actually am.
Okay, okay. I hear boos from the crowd. But this is my blog, not steveperryfans.com. I have a right to my opinion. I wasn’t a huge Journey fan back then, and I’m not a big one right now. Not that they weren’t (aren’t?) good, they just weren’t really my thing. So as sweet as it is seeing a bunch of elementary school children singing the song during music class (I had to sing “I Write the Songs” by Barry Manilow. Ugh.) I kind of wish it had been another song. Something that spoke to me. Like maybe ‘I Melt with You’ by Modern English, or the Cure’s ‘Just Like Heaven.’ Of course, anything by The Greatest Band of All Time – I’m speaking, of course, about U2 – would have been great. Even something by Michael Jackson. He wrote a lot of cool songs even after he became white.
So it is with great hubris that I list my Top 17 Favorite Songs as a Teen. They might not be the same as your parents’ -- you’ll find no country and just one with synthetic rock (not a fan, but one was too cool to pass up). And, sadly, I have no Madonna. (It was a tough call, I must say. The original Lady Gaga knew how to rock a cone-shaped bra.) Still, we’re all individuals aren’t we? One song list can’t define our generation, just like one can’t define yours.
A note before I start: Just like there’s no way I could list my children in order of favorites, I couldn’t bring myself to do it with my music. Therefore, they are listed in alphabetical order. And, yes, that sounds as pathetic as it is.
So here they are:
My TOP 17 FAVORITE SONGS AS A TEEN
- ‘Don’t You (Forget About Me)’ by Simple Minds
- ‘Everybody Hurts’ by R.E.M.
- ‘Fight for Your Right (to Party)’ by The Beastie Boys
- ‘I Love Rock and Roll’ by Joan Jett and the Blackhearts
- ‘Just Like Heaven’ by The Cure
- ‘Kiss’ by Prince
- ‘My Perogative’ by Bobby Brown
- ‘Rhythm Nation 1814’ by Janet Jackson
- ‘Sweet Child of Mine’ by Guns N’ Roses
- ‘Take My Breath Away’ by Berlin
- ‘The Boys of Summer’ by Don Henley
- ‘Under Pressure’ by David Bowie/Queen
- ‘Walk This Way’ by Aerosmith w/ Run DMC
- ‘We Will Rock You’ by Queen
- ‘What I Like About You’ by The Romantics
- ‘Wild Thing’ by Tone Loc
- ‘You Shook Me All Night Long’ by AC/DC
So there you have it. Think I’m a dork? Well, I don’t care. Know why? Cuz I heard you were singing ‘Don’t Stop Believin’ in the shower.
journey image link